Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday colors

Returning to the rumpled and still warm bed with the Sunday paper in hand, and reading it by the light through the window: cream, and sleepy

Breakfast with my mother this morning: yellow, and musical

Cleaning the house: grey, and sweaty

Shopping at Target with my niece: purple with yellow stars

Grocery shopping with my niece: Okra and squash

Laundry going all day: white, and clean

A connected phone call: gold and orange, lifting

Making green tea for my niece and her boyfriend: blue-green, nurturing. Putting honey in the tea: silver, and sweet

Talking with my nephew on the phone: Sky blue, and happy

Coming home on a night after so many Sunday nights away: All the absent colors of a cool and cloudy day, but shimmering

Today was not a mountain top ecstasy, or a stunning show of dawning colors, but a middle ground of chores, solutions, smoothed wrinkles. Today was the calm in the normal. The connections between high and low. It's been a day of satisfaction and feeling well. A day when I'm reminded that the views from the middle ground, the views from an average day, those colors are deeper, richer, more meaningful than any fleeting glimpse of what might be perceived as knock-your-socks-off otherwise. Yeah, it's good to be back to the normal of my home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison: I got you a FABULOUS present at the Houston Quilt Show....

Just ask Chris - she'll tell you it's true!

ILY - JGG

Anonymous said...

can i steal this idea? make it a meme? because that is such an interesting way to think about a day. i do it too. i just wasnt conscious of it until i read this.

Linda@VS said...

Unlike Ghost, I DON'T think this way, and I'm impressed that the two of you do. Very creative, Alison.