Friday, June 22, 2007

Pricey souvenir


Way better than the new stamps on my passport, this speeding ticket I got in Croatia. I've never been proud of a speeding ticket before but this one I was a bit excited about. An expensive trip token for the scrap book, I admit. But, how many people can boast a Croatian speeding ticket? It cost 300.00 Kuna on the spot (about 55.00 USD), and I was terrified by the uniforms and very serious demeanor of the two cops, not to mention that my imagination put me in an 800-year old underground prison with Cuttlefish soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and no wall jacks for charging my Blackberry.

The radar gun was held together with gaffing tape and I wasn't the only one pulled over. I think we all got tickets for 89 kilometers in a 70 (55 in a 40, roughly). Here at home, I might have questioned the speed trap's convenient location to the only ATM to be found for 200 miles. I might have been a bit mouthy and resistant. Just a little. There though, I was so nervous that I did everything but offer to polish his boots and salute when dismissed. Seriously, when the cop told us to go now, I was so happy and relieved that I almost hugged him. But that would have been a bit much. I did smile and wave though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pricey and unique. I'm fairly sure that not too many bring home that kind of souvenir. We read and hear horror stories of police and jails in other countries - I think I'd have had the same fears you did - if I were stopped.

Linda@VS said...

Wow, I don't think I know anyone else who has a souvenir of an international crime spree ;-)

I'm looking forward to reading more about your travels, and I hope your luggage will turn up eventually.

ghost said...

yeah i think you got jacked. but, better safe than sorry i think.

i was arrested in amsterdam, but i dont know that here is the best place to tell it.