Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I see your face and sense the grace

We're at The King's Arms pub. We're with her friends, a rowdy lot of sailing buddies. A joy to meet this bunch. We are laughing and talking, connecting as we can. Good fun, as she says.

Then I notice him. He's sitting on a bar stool, alone in the corner. I admire his long grey coat and thick red scarf, his white-ish grey hair. He looks like home, warm and familiar. I smile at him. He nods back. Before I know what I am doing, I am walking towards him.

You have such a warm face, I had to come say hello. Actually, you remind me of my father.

How nice of you. Hello. Your father has a lovely daughter.

Thank you. How are you tonight?

He gracefully waves his hand over his beer and whiskey.

I have my Guinness and my Jameson. He smiles. I am doing quite well, thank you.

As he moves, I look at his hand. Large hands, like my father's. Then I see his cane. Dark wood, heavily detailed silver handle. I look back at him and smile.

My name is Alison.

I present my hand, which he takes and raises to kiss. I am flattered by the chivalry of his gesture.

His eyes twinkle. It's an honor to make your acquaintance, Alison, my name is Edward.

Of course it is.

4 comments:

Reading said...

I'd say fate had a hand in that one.

Sass said...

What a beautiful moment. I got chills and swells of tears as I read that.

tinyhands said...

Back and forth across the sea, chasing so many dreams.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the comment from Sass...tears and chills. What a wonderful way to start my day!