Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I'm sure that I'm the only one who cares

Last Saturday as I drove to the cabin, I listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from the week of September 27, 1975.  I recalled most of the songs and happily sang along and reached to the radio to raise the volume a time or two. The journey back in time was perfect accompaniment as I drove along the familiar country roads.

I used to listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 with such excitement, back in the day.  I loved to guess the Top 10, and especially the top five.  My eyes would tear up with the Long Distance Dedications, and I enjoyed learning about the history of certain songs, hearing clips from the originals, or learning chart and artist trivia. 

I liked how he signed off each show with the same motto, Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.  That was a good message for a young girl to hear and be reminded to do each week.

As I listened the the countdown, I was surprised by how in the mid 70's, the music was so varied from one song to another, from 60's-styled teenage death songs to pure pop to glam rock.  The top four songs for the week of September 27, 1975 have nothing in common except for the fact that they were songs, and sung by men. 

4.  David Geddes, Run Joey Run
3.  Glenn Campbell, Rhinestone Cowboy
2.  David Bowie, Fame
1.  John Denver, I'm Sorry

That's an odd lot right there.  It speaks of a country in turmoil, a country without focus, a country reeling from Watergate, of not knowing what to or how to separate from the 60s, of an attempted assassination on then President Ford, and it speaks to the wholesomeness of our dreams, of holding on yet wanting to make right.  Lastly, it speaks to the at the time every-growing British invasion. 

So, yeah, a little drive to the cabin and I'm recalling a decade from my childhood.  Musically, that decade was a doozie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Run Joey Run song was pretty awful. Did you know they covered it on Glee last season? It was pretty funny though.
-sdhb