Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Long hot happy weekend, Day 2

More from Memorial Day.

On Saturday morning, coffee in hand, Cheyenne and I set out for an early walk around the property. She did her best imitation of a cow and happily grazed on the moist grass.

160

Then I loaded her in the car and took her to a favorite spot on the San Marcos river. I've been taking her there for years and as soon as we get out of the car, she picks up the scent of familiarity and practically drags me across the road and down the path that cuts through the heavily wooded park to a spot where the banks of the river gently slope and she can easily get in and out of the cool waters.

045

Cheyenne will play fetch with me for a few minutes until she loses interest, then she enjoys just plopping her behind down in the shallow water and watching the river world go by.

035

026

My niece Catherine got to the house in the early afternoon and we sat on the porch talking for a while before she had to head out to a birthday party conveniently about 20 minutes away. She left her dogs with me and took off, promising to return by dinner.  Yea!

182

And then this precious family arrived.

051

171

When Catherine returned, she embraced an armful of her own niece.

194

A whole lot of fun and laughter took place in this little house that afternoon and evening.  Good times!

135

2 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I just love seeing Miss Chey in the waters!

Unknown said...

I recognized that spot on the river! In my 20s, I used to go there almost every day during the summer to cool off. Thank you for the memories!
Carmon