Thursday, February 09, 2006

All Star Week

The world spins like it always has, only altogether different. It's been a year since I lost my father. Passing through this past week has been a kind of full circle that I didn't really want to remember or complete. It's also been good medicine. I've been blessed with reminders this week that even when we think we're alone, someone is out there holding us in their heart. I thank my lucky stars for each of you.

My brother, for taking care of things on the homefront. For keeping true to the promises he made himself and reminding me through example that sometimes we have to be our own North Star.

My mother for trying and not always succeeding but getting up every day and trying again.

My sister-in-law and friend, Kathy, for the long phone conversations, and picking me up on Friday and staying with me until I was ready to go to sleep.

Carrie and Jacqui for coming home early Sunday. And delivering time with open hand and open house.

Sharon for that brunch and bottle of white star, and for always asking, How's your Mom? Mostly though for well-timed water under the bridge.

Augusta for calling me about 20 times over the weekend, just to check in, even though she had a housefull of company and a sick baby who wouldn't let her out of sight. And for the long email in which among other things, she said, I miss your Daddy too, and I love you more than you know.

Mindy for sitting still and talking candidly with me on Monday, for sharing what it was like for her. And also for backing off of that whole Grotto idea and going to Chuy's instead, because it's where I wanted to go.

Gadfly for a really good conversation at dinner a week ago, and for being sensitive and taking the time to check with others before sending that Superbowl party invitation.

Shannon for mailing me a card that she made with fishhook stamps in honor of my father. And for always thinking of me and reaching out even though she has one child on her hip and another at her knee.

Thinking of you

It's two particular friends who have been in my life since our days in highschool: Donna for mailing me a beautiful card and reminding me of my spirit and perseverance. And it's Buddy for emailing me these words: Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Remember Heaven's gain. He is so proud of you.

It's the email from Sass who said she only had a minute to write but wanted me to consider thinking about the day as being the one he was welcomed with psalms sung by angels.

It's Sass and Network Geek, Ghost, and Adam. People I've not meant but won't deny what their comments, and therefore they, have meant to me.

And of course, that dog of mine. For allowing me to live with her, provide her with a comfortable couch, and spoil her rotten every day.

Right at home on her couch

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a single word can be all one needs to be reminded they are not traveling alone. All of you have touched me in the past week, and for that, you're my All Stars. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sweet, Alison. I was just starting to feel guilty that I hadn't commented or e-mailed more when I saw you reference me. Then, I felt more guilty.

But, I'll share this:
I have a friend who lost his partner to AIDS several years ago. Now, every year, he has a party on the anniversary of Bruce's death to celebrate life. He says it serves as a reminder both of Bruce's life and that life goes on and is good. I've had the privlege of being invited for the past several years. Last year, he made me laugh to forget my troubles, but, I usually try to work it the other way around. Something to consider, maybe, as time goes on. I get the sense that your Dad might just get a kick out of that.
And, thank you for the privlege of letting me see into your world, even just a little.

Sass said...

Does everyone have something in their eye?

That's extremely sweet Ali. The sentiment is equal. I'm hugging your blog right now.

Adam said...

Alison, glad I could be tiny bit of help. You're a good egg and so are the people (and dog) you have around you to give you support.

Anonymous said...

yeah, sass. something in my eye. and goosebumps on my skin.

alison, thank you.