Sunday, February 12, 2006

My new muscle car will not be mentioned one single time in this post

The storm in my life, the target on my back, you've seen it. But that has been of my own doing. You know it, I know it. No sense in hiding.

The love in my heart, the vision from my eyes, you've seen that too. Dreamer with her dreams. That has also been of my own doing. You know it, I know it. No sense in hiding.

I've had dinner at El Tiempo, lunch at Los Tios, dinner at Tony's, and breakfast at La Mexicana. To them it's redundant - to me, it's going home. I miss Mexico. But really, I'm just looking for home. It wouldn't matter at all, it doesn't matter at all, save for the company. I've loved the company.

I drove by his office today. The name on the building is new and offensive. Should I have come here? I'm angry at the building, at them. There's no reason but for feeling it. They can't hide his windows or his parking place. Empty now on a Sunday. Quiet. I can see him walking out the door. I remember it like yesterday. Right there, but vacant today. It makes me angry. For some reason, I'm looking for blame. They can't take my memories. I've walked those halls, sat in that office, looked at framed photos of my life on those walls. My Dad built that business. My Dad built that building. His dreams, his goals. You can change the name but I own this place. You can take the halls but you can't take this from me. THIS IS MINE.

We drive on.

The neighborhood is empty, save for the homeless and nervous, a few kids chasing each other near a car that no longer runs. She's pushing a cart and wearing a boa and fuzzy slippers but I pay no mind. He never would build fences. We talked about it but he wouldn't consider it. They are my friends, Alison. We take care of each other.

We drive on.

He spoke the truth, there never was any trouble. Driving down the street tonight, I think the peace was set by his hands, his mind, his vision. Driving down the street tonight,I focus on that street sign. 1202 Hahlo. I always knew it would mean something to me, Hahlo.

That's my Dad.

5 comments:

Sass said...

Absolutely beautiful.

I felt like I was there with you on that drive in that muscle car.

Anonymous said...

you must not also mention that your new muscle car is a convertible

Anonymous said...

have you peeled out in it yet?

Anonymous said...

hollow or halo?...im thinking the latter. your father. full of life love and lessons taught and learned. an angel, not a shell.

Pamela said...

Don't be too sad. He made a difference in everyone that he met.