Monday, May 08, 2006

We heart New York

Dear New York,

As I sit here in this pretty hotel room with pale green and cream striped wallpaper and thick green flowered curtains and pretty English prints of pugs on the walls, I should confess that I've poured my coffee out and am now drinking a glass of Veuve Cliquot. Why should today be different than any other day we've been here just because we're leaving in a couple hours?

I'm still coming down from this morning's rush of being starstruck over someone other than Stevie Nicks but seeing Katie, Matt and Al in person was, well, pretty damn cool. Giada de Laurentiis was an added bonus. That's what I kept saying, anyway. Sharon could only nod because her eyes were transfixed on the goings on at the Plaza so really I think she was more starstruck than me. Mom couldn't have cared since she prefers not to see the hour of 8:00 in the morning and only mumbled, Have a good time, when we set out for our adventures.

DSC_0050 DSC_0055
DSC_0061 DSC_0039

Hands down though, the coolest was going to the top of the Rockefeller Building, or Top of the Rock, as you like to call it. We both agreed that the views were more spectacular than the Empire State Building, since you can see the Empire State Building and then walk to the other side and see all of Central Park. Plus, that elevator ride up, with the glass ceiling, that was pretty wonderful, except for the part about it also being terrifying because I'm not sure that I ever again want to see the inside workings of an elevator shaft when I'm traveling 76 stories. Still though, with only five other people up there with us, it was quite a treat and we felt as if we had our own private showing.

DSC_0070 DSC_0076
DSC_0066 DSC_0071
DSC_0069 DSC_0074

All in all, you've been a lovely host and we've enjoyed every minute of our visit. I just have one question for you. What is your secret about the french fries that you serve with everything including breakfast and that are the most delicious, most magical, crispy and yet still soft french fries we've ever had? We'd like to know that secret. Unless, of course, it's that you fry them in goose fat or horse fat or something equally disgusting. That, we'd not like to know.

DSC_0089

Sincerely,

A Texas who'll return

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you didnt eat them with mayonaise did you? i've never understood that. that's like ketchup on hot dog wierd to me. anyway, i want to go to new york someday. actually, after my divorce and before i married amy i dreamed of being a cabby in new york. i wanted to stay long enough to see some stuff but not long eough to get hardened to it. you know?

Adam said...

Please tell me you gave Giada my number...and Katie the finger!

Sass said...

what a fabulous trip but and great photos. But Texas is glad to have you back.

Leesa said...

Wow..sounds so fun :)