Monday, July 24, 2006

Keeping a upward curve in my stiff upper lip

As I sat on my couch last night, soaking in the surroundings of my familiar, I spread the past several weeks out through the living room and settled on one word: flexibility. We are forever in transition -- continually moving, changing direction, doing differently than we imagined. When we stop and analyze the past or what lies ahead, we know that if anything is required of us, it is to be flexible. Flexible to bend without breaking, to see the chaos and not fall down under it. It's my responsibility to myself, and duty to my family, to move and bend without creating a rift, or breaking my spirit.

For me, however far I move in any direction, I have to return. In other words, I can bend, but I have to bend back. Regain my strength, take my time. I'm wired that way, can go and go and go, but there comes a time when I have to stop and be still for a time. And I have to be flexible enough to know when and where. When is now, where is here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say something that would make a difference or lighten your load, but I know there's nothing. When I was a kid, I watched my parents go through similar struggles with my paternal grandmother, who had some similar problems as your mother. No decision they made seemed to satisfy or ease their pain. Sometimes, there just aren't any good options and we have to do the best we can.
You're doing better than I ever could, I think.
Don't what I could do, but, don't hesitate to call on me, if I can help.

Anonymous said...

like i said before. you have to take time for you, alison.