Friday, July 13, 2007

My back

I have a certain friend. She's in my court, on my side, in my stable, however you want to phrase it, but she's there. She is. Right. Beside. Me.

There's a path I'm walking now, a path that is rocky for me. Rocky and emotional. Rocky and unstable. Rocky and slippery. I can't see my next step for all the damn rocks.

She can see, and she tells me. She warns me, Watch out for that rock. And right after I tell her that there is no rock, I trip over its presence.

Tonight I sat beside her and scratched her back. She's that kind of friend, the kind that touches your heart and mind and breaks the barrier so that you find yourself holding hands or hugging or crying, or scratching her back.

Tonight, just about that friendship. Just about that good.

There's a phrase or a saying, whatever, but it's about your back being covered. As if in battle, or maybe love. You are safe. She has your back. Or you're scratching hers.

That's this friend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a friend like that. Our friendship evolved too and we loved each other completely. She died in 1985 and I still miss her. I am very aware I will probably not be so lucky as to have another friendship quite so complete. You are both blessed. Carmon

Anonymous said...

Carmen is right - you are both blessed. It's been a long time since I had a friendship like that. It feels good to remember it. I think I got too busy with life, after that, to let one develop with a pet.