Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Point blank

Letting Cheyenne out, turning the porch lights on, the hall lights off, happy to be leaving a good day and heading to a good night's sleep, the phone rings. I glance at the caller ID, don't recognize the number but do recognize the area code, decide it can wait.

Curiosity gets the best of me and I check the message. I've not heard the voice since I was in single-digit years. My sister's old boyfriend. She's amazing in that way and I'll never understand it but for witnessing and knowing it exists, this darkly magic whatever she has with men. She buried her seventh husband today. Tonight her first boyfriend calls me looking for her. How's your Mom, he asks, And how's your Dad? I was hoping to get hold of Marianne? It's a statement, but he makes it a question, the last word, her name, an upward lilt in his voice.

He does not say a word about the nerve it takes to dial my number. Maybe it doesn't take any nerve for him, I do not know. He's all Hey, how are you? It's been a while...

My brow furrows, knots in recollection, tangles in thought. I shake my head. I don't believe the message, so replay it. Yes, indeed, he says he's looking for her, misses her, hasn't seen her in over 30 years.

He was her first love, her first drink, her first drug, her first bruise. At nine years old, I walk in on them having sex, my father behind my young self, shotgun in hand. My sister was just 14, understand. The boyfriend was 18. I don't think the gun was loaded but he wasn't going to hang around long enough to find that out. I remember the brief blur of their bodies. His white ass and tan legs running through our front yard, my sister sitting up in her bed, her young breasts small and high, her eyes and heart sagging, crying, screaming, pulling her hair, imploring us to understand that she loved him. At 14, understand?

I was as confused about her then as I am today. I witness her life now as I did then. She's crying, needs understanding. She's angry, needs peace. She's thirsty, needs a drink. The math is simple enough but never really comprehensible.

Do I call him back? I don't know. I have my own story about this guy of hers. It's the way he always came to the house with full and unopened cans of beer in his pockets. It's the night they decided I needed to know what having a boy kiss me was about, and she held me down while he showed me. I was nine. I kicked my foot through the glass coffee table, ran out the back door, through the back yard to my pony, jumped on his back and together we galloped through the dark and through the neighborhood, along the bayou trails and away from them. I never once stopped to see if I was bleeding.

Hours later at the hospital, Mom and Dad grounded me for two months for my behavior that night.

Where were you?

I was riding Ajax.

Where did you go?

I just went for a ride, okay?

It was not okay. They wondered what happened. As my foot was stitched, I was crying for the night, for her, for me, for all I did not understand. But I was silent for them.

Snotty nosed and in tears, I never said a word in my defense. Would you?

I'm not quite sure why after so many years, a voicemail can unnerve me so. I'm not sure why her life is always the first one knocking on the door. This one really doesn't have anything to do with me. Jeez, it's been over 30 years. Except it does have something to do with me because he found my phone number and dialed it in effort to find her.

Would you pass it to your sister?

I want to stand on the porch and warn her that something is coming up the river, something I'm not sure of. As then, as is now. There is no place, no reason, no reaction but to hang on through the discovery of the answer to the question, What next?

7 comments:

ghost said...

erase the message, do not call him back. tell your sister about what's coming down the river.
better the advanced warning. maybe that will help her deal with it when it comes.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ghost. Pass the 'warning' on, but you don't need to pass along the details. Sometimes it's better if you don't know. IF he rings you back - tell him he has no business with you and please do not call back. He's on his own...as you were that night.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I'm so sorry, Alison, for so many reasons...that he found your phone number and that you had to take that trip down 'memory lane', that a 9 year old girl had to go through what you did then, that you still go through what you do now, and that your sister seems to be hardwired to make the wrong choices. You'll do what you have to do, just as we all do. Personally, I wouldn't return his call or talk to my sister about him.

maxngabbie said...

How terrifying for you..how terribly mean they were to do that to you, at NINE! If he had to call you to find your sister, chances are he won't find her. I'm with Jackie on this one, I wouldn't mention it. To bad your fathers shotgun wasn't loaded so many years ago. There was a boy that once thought I should know what some things feel like at the age of 12, to this day, he acts as if nothing happened, and 36 years later, I'm still shook by the sight of him.
Again I'm sorry, truly I am.

Linda@VS said...

Sometimes I'm amazed when I'm reminded how stupidly cruel some people can be. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience in your past and sorry this guy has seen fit to insinuate himself into your present, as well. What a loser!

I agree with those who said they wouldn't pass the message on to your sister. If she's just lost a husband, she may be vulnerable enough to think there's a "fate thing" involved with this guy's timing.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Alison, Erase the message and forget about it. You owe him nothing and you would be doing your sister a favor.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog and think you are a beautiful writer! (((((HUGS))))) sandi