Thursday, October 18, 2007

Four words

I sit beside her while she eats the fresh strawberries, blackberries and grapes I've brought her. It's peaceful here, pure, quiet, our own space, own time. Something is on the television, something in the background, filler we both ignore. I hold the plate, attentive to her needs, wipe her mouth. She turns her head to me, opens her mouth round. I lean in. She says in a voice just above a whisper, I love you, Alison.

My world, it's full of plans and details and what next. But it snaps clear, it gets perfectly clear, when she speaks.

I remember who I am when I hear her. I know what's important when I hear her. To hear her voice again!

3 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

What a gift those words must be to you.

ghost said...

it is the little moments.

Linda@VS said...

Those four magic words will be with you always now, Alison. You'll hear them with your heart when you need them the most. Lovely moments.