Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm sure he's there now

When I was a young girl of five or six, I had distinct musical preference. Two albums, or 8-tracks, if you will, and only two were on my rotation list. The soundtracks to The Sound of Music, and Camelot. I recall when the family drove to our house in the hill country for summer vacation, I would sit in the front seat of our station wagon, between my father driving and my mother wishing I was not sitting in the front seat. Right between them, and right in front of the car stereo. I'd put The Sound of Music 8-track into the deck and when that was over, I'd pull it out and replace it with Camelot. When that was over, in went The Sound of Music again. I liked Julie Andrew's voice, I still do. And I liked Richard Burton. But I really liked Robert Goulet. I really liked Robert Goulet's voice. I had a bit of a crush on his voice, and Sir Lancelot, and Camelot in general was a place I wanted to visit one day.

Camelot came through Houston years ago and I took my mother to see the musical. Goulet had by then moved from his role of Lancelot to very successfully fill Burton's role of King Arthur. It was thrilling to watch him up there on the stage, absolutely thrilling. My face hurt from smiling for so long and my hands hurt from the long applause and standing ovation after the show. Afterwards, we milled about in a Meet the Stars area but I was too awe-struck to approach him. He was Lancelot and King Arthur rolled into one, after all.

Robert Goulet died yesterday. When I read the news in the paper this morning, I was struck with the musical memories and happiness this man provided me through my years. But I wasn't struck with the feeling of loss. I have no doubt where he is, where to find him.

In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camelot.

6 comments:

ghost said...

the last time i saw him he was crawling upside down on a ceiling in some emerald's nuts commercial.

Linda@VS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda@VS said...

I'm glad you have such fond Camelot memories, but the commercial that Ghost mentioned overrode other Robert Goulet images in my mind. I thought it was sad that he'd had to do such a stupid commercial. It's good to know he has loyal fans like you to love him for his whole body of work.

Anonymous said...

Camelot was one of my favorites, too. When I talked my grandmother into taking the family as a kid, I had the honor of hearing Robert Goulet as Lancelot in one of the last performances he did in that role. It was brilliant and so was he. I always thought it was cool that he had a sense of humor about himself, even as big a name as he was. The arts will miss him, as will I.

Anonymous said...

I was there too. It was a magical show!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Ah... I still love a good Lerner and Lowe musical. It was South Pacific that made me love musical theater and I was lucky enough to work on a Camelot production.

I'm still a huge fan of the original. Goulet will be missed.