Monday, October 29, 2007

What would you do?

Silly to write that for the post title. I know what most of, if not all, my friends would do. For their dog's birthday. Probably not much. Because most of my friends are normal line-separating people.

What I did was take Cheyenne to the park for a long time this evening. We stayed until she bored of every furry bottom available to her nose, and had sniffed out every scented message left behind for her on fallen leaf, barrier post, table leg. We stayed until I threw the ball to her and she watched it arc in the sky and fall beside her foot, then looked at me as if throwing the ball for her was so yesterday and didn't I know that she was into food for pleasure these days?

After she cooled down, I fixed her birthday dinner. This is where I'm pretty sure I crossed the line from healthy pet owner to over-the-top. Her birthday dinner consisted of the following:

~ Normal amount of her dog food
~ Two broccoli florets
~ Large spoonful of beef stew
~ Large splash of low sodium chicken broth
~ Quarter cup of water

And then...

I stirred it all together and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to give it a nice warm temperature.

While she danced in excited circles around my feet.

In the grand scheme of things, I figure that spoiling a dog is a tiny thing, the likes of which no one will keep track and which causes no damage, but giving happiness, even over-the-top happiness, to an animal who depends on me and gives me so very much in return? The spoiling and the wag of her tail tonight, they make my small world a very happy place to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, someone keeps track, alright. Every time you go out of your way to spoil your dog someone, somewhere marks it down.
In the "Plus/Good" side of the ledger.

It's those little things that separate you from the herd, Alison. So, don't stop.

Anonymous said...

See, that's why we get along - Gracie loves it when I make her scrammbled eggs. I don't even cook for myself, and only keep eggs in the house for her!

Happy Birthday to Chenny!!

Linda@VS said...

Good for both of you! You keep on doing what you're doing, Alison. You and Cheyenne are blessed to have each other.

Adam said...

I feel bad now. All mine get for their birthday is an extra bone and an all access pass to the bed. I never knew I was supposed to "cook" for them.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Alison, I warm Mabel's food daily. I don't like cold food; why should she?

My dogs typically get a gift wrapped new toy - not only from me. They get gift wrapped presents from their granny and aunt as well.

I also go to Three Dog Bakery and get her a birthday treat.

I'm with you on the joy. They give so much!

Happy Belated to your precious girl!