Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In honor of their day

Fifty-eight years ago on this date, my parents were married.

Today, their marriage reaches past time, even past their lives. I used to send them each a card and thank them, bring Mom flowers. In the years between his death and her own, I would bring her roses on this day. Knowing she was no longer aware of the date and its meaning, I'd climb onto her bed with her and tell her I loved her, close my eyes and without words wish her happy anniversary and kiss her forehead.

This day, this April 15th, is the first anniversary I've not spent with them or her. But in my heart, in my heart, they are together.

2 comments:

Adam said...

This is their best anniversary in years!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Ditto - what Adam said!

You're such a good daughter Alison. I know they must have been so proud of you.