Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tuesday morning love song

A bird on the wire calls me on. This morning I'm running wild through the color exploding all around me. The bursting Red Bud Trees and heavy Saucer Magnolias. Suddenly the honeysuckle and jasmine float on the air and we follow. The Live Oaks planted last summer in the park, the ones that have been bare and weak the past few months, are now covered in bright green leaves. The sunlit grass is carpeted with tiny white flowers. All along the branches of the Pear Trees, fuzzy buds wait for just the right moment to pop.

I forget that while I sleep, life goes on, growing, developing, spreading, until at just the right moment, it reveals itself in these glorious colors and shapes of change. Just a few short weeks ago, everything laid flat against brown and grey. Now the colors around me are young and radiant and my path is shaped by new green leaves seemingly crawling all over the branches. It's as if I walk through a thousand miracles, as if every little hope and dream suddenly breathes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im a summer guy, alison, but reading your description of it makes me wanna change teams. your words are every bit as beautiful as that which you are describing.

Sass said...

Yup. The two best times of the year are short lived in Houston. We enjoy our three weeks of fall and our three weeks of spring every moment we are able to.

To new beginings. Wait, did i just do a toast at 1:20 on a Tuesday afternoon? I think I did. Only problem is all i have to toast with is a water bottle. Grrrr. now that's symbolism.