Friday, March 31, 2006

Pink

Head south on 202 from Frazer PA. Take I-95 to Delaware's Route 1. See the change in color around you, nature turning, a new season taking its course. None of it evident in Pennsylvania, but when you get on 301 to Chesapeake Bay and drive through Maryland, nature begins to sparkle. Clusters of bright yellow Daffodils along the median of the highway, Dogwoods and Bradford Pears with white flowers popping out all along their branches, wild Forsythia dotting the meadows and lining the highway. And then the Cherry Trees. Everywhere the pale pink blossoms.

And me, driving along with my jaw agape, trying to pay attention so that I don't get lost, and wondering how in the world I'm going to concentrate once I get to our office.

But I find a way.

For lunch, we go to a restaurant situated on an inlet of the Chesapeake Bay. Crab Cakes all around. Outside the windows, a pink blur of cherry blossoms. Beyond them, a lone sculler on the water.

I'm not used to this, but I could get there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im from west texas. theres a place out there called no trees. theyre not lying. compared to that, this place youre describing sounds like heaven.

Anonymous said...

Up here in the Garden State, the daffodills are poking through the ground, but only the ones lucky enough to be planted in the sun have sprouted. Those in the shade are just green stalks. No tulips yet. But soon...
-sdhb