Monday, April 03, 2006

What's there to see

Last week

Bridge Chesapeake Bay Sign of the times Forsythia Bridge Gripping

That last photo, the one with me gripping the steering wheel and holding the map with my thumb, that's how I drove Friday morning the entire two hours from Annapolis to Philadelphia, including the 60-mile stretch of no exits. Just in case.

Flowering trees

A1 A3 A4 A2 Flowers&sky A5

Popcorn bag

mix bag 048

If you look closely, you can see the American Flag in the top right portion of the photo. Some people get breakfast rolls resembling Mother Theresa, or water leaks that reveal an apparition of the Virgin Mary on the garage floor, and crowds of people form just to witness such things, just to be near. Me, I take a photo of a patriotic bag of popcorn. The line forms to the right.

My left foot

My left foot

Central Market

CM1 CM4 CM3 CM5

It used to be that I was the only person in the City of Houston who hadn't been to Central Market. No longer. In Ikea fashion, I was drawn in yesterday and couldn't get out. I felt my eyes glaze over, my senses overload, and something Stepford-like took over me. I've never before been surrounded by so much color. (Well, except for that time we went camping and my friends brought Laura Ashley linens.) I never knew there were such things as white eggplant or purple bell pepper. I never knew Foie Gras could go for $250.00 per pound, or dry pasta for $15.00 a bag. And a room full of cheese? Heaven. But I imagined Cheyenne eating her way through $500.00 worth of Parmesan. In the end, I spent $80.00 on what would have cost me half that at Kroger. But at Kroger, things like a postcard book of Keith Carter horse photos, or Cous Cous with Spinach, or the tomatoes, mozzarella and scallions, those wouldn't have found their way into my cart.

Cheyenne at her park

LBD2 Long shadows LBD1

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothing says america like a bag of popcorn. you have a great eye for the images you capture. cute toes.

Sass said...

Oooh central market - it's one of my favorites for fresh flowers and fresh veggies but the bin section is a little scary.

I got your msg. sat - thank you so much for calling - you know that small gesture meant a lot to me, and i acted apropriately by not calling back - so sorry about that - i was running around going crazy. - the photo run on my site may take a minute to load so try it again.

Looking forward to seeing you next week or whenever we can arrange it.

Adam said...

I'm curious, did you see the flag and then take a picture of it or was it something you saw after you looked at the picture?

Duly Inspired said...

Adam, I saw the flag after I took the photo. And it took me a while to figure that it was light and shadow on the creases of the top of the bag.

Willie Baronet said...

Ikea and Central Market. We have the same problem in Dallas. Huge sucking sound as you walk by the door. :-)