Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Lines

Cross it, jump it, straddle it. Draw it straight and color outside of it. If you're in a hurry, travel it directly between points A and B. Take the Blue or the Bakerloo. Snort it, if that's what you're into. Tow it, dial it, recite it. Let it define your property or your county. A few for your laughter, a few for your worries. Fish with one, dry your clothes on one. Divide with it. Take out a loan with your own personal one. Stand in it, or get on it.

I'm drawing one in the the dirt between the street and her driveway.

Her. Me. Us.
------------------
You. And You.

If you're the guy who she let live with her when you were homeless, the one my brother had to kick out when she realized that it was yet another mess she'd gotten herself into but couldn't get out of because you refused to budge, and you still return to lurk about the house when you think she has some money coming her way, or if you're her abusive ex-husband drinking a beer while sitting in your car in her driveway, there for the same hope of financial gain, listen up: Stay on your side of the line. Back up a couple steps and get on the side of your life, not hers. Because when you're on this side, you worry me. And anger me. And to be honest, you also make me sick to my stomach because it's disgusting to know that men like you not only exist, but circle when their prey is weak. Your prey is my sister.

And that's giving me my own lines. The stress kind.

5 comments:

Sass said...

yup - drew three of those lines this week then erased one of them.

Anonymous said...

Probably the wrong thing to write and the wrong way to think, but, honestly, guys like that are why concealed carry laws were inacted.

I'm not good at drawing lines, making ulitmatiums. If I make them, I feel compelled to keep them and that often leads to trouble. Besides, I'm too internally random for all that.

Thank you,BTW, for your words of encouragement this past week.

Anonymous said...

hate that you and your sis have someone like this in your lives at all. ::shakes head::

Adam said...

Just be glad you have a vicious attack dog to defend the line.

Willie Baronet said...

Wow, very powerful post. And you have mad writing skills. Very gifted. Looking forward to reading more but I just found your blog. :-)

From a fellow Texan (not originally).