Monday, April 10, 2006

Via Spiga dreams on an Easy Spirit budget

I confess that I am a shoe whore. Well, wait, I was recently told that when I use the word whore, which I don't do often, that I should instead consider using the word enthusiast. So, I confess that I am a shoe enthusiast.

What I cannot seem to get enough of are black shoes. I collect them like someone might khaki shorts, or polo shirts. When it comes to black shoes, I do not know the answer to the question: How many are enough? Not to mention the question, How many are too many?

Sandals, loafers, flats, heels, espadrills, boots, flip flops, slides, you name it. Throw in varying heel heights and, well, I have a considerable number of black shoes. I think there are three pair of brown shoes in my closet. A definite minority, each covered in a thin layer of dust.

I don't need more shoes. I'm not sure I've ever set out to get a pair of shoes that I needed. But when I'm in a store, the shoes call out to me and I have to at least look. Such was the case on Friday. And what caught my eye was a pair of black leather Via Spiga sandals, on sale for $60.00, from $140.00. That's quite a deal, but I walked away, thinking that $60.00 for a pair of sandals that I want but don't need is still a bit much. But still, $60.00 for a pair of Via Spigas?

Feeling proud of myself for using restraint, I left the store and went about the rest of my day. Unfortunately, the shoes didn't leave me. The sale price didn't leave me. If I bought those sandals, my reasoning went, I'd be saving $80.00.

And, because I have already admitted that I am a shoe whore, um, enthusiast, I returned to the store several hours later, found the sandals, and made them my own. And saved eighty dollars! Seriously, for that price, they were practically given to me.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

::chuckles:: thanks for this on a monday morning.