Thursday, April 20, 2006

Today is the first day of the rest of my photos

I sat on the fence for a long time when it comes to digital photography. I didn't want to give up my love for, and comfort with, film. I didn't want to give up what I'd learned about developing and enlarging my own photos. But the reality is that I haven't developed my own negatives or enlarged my own photos in over ten years. And the truth is that the part of me that is quite comfortable with my photography knowledge resented the whole idea of digital and hoped it would be a flash in the pan fad like the return of ponchos. Then again, I thought MS Word would never be more popular than WordPerfect and I resisted that as well.

But as digital technology improved, and was suddenly everywhere I looked, I couldn't help but, well, look into it further.

A little over a year ago, I started my digital journey with a Canon PowerShot. I told myself to start out with a basic camera, get accustomed to digital, compare it to film, and see how I like it. And I gave myself a year to find out. If I found that I wanted to jump to the digital side, I could then move on to a better camera and the financial commitment that would involve.

Well, a year has come and gone. I did loads of research on which camera would be best for me, and then spent more time comparing prices. Finally, last week I made a decision. And that decision arrived in Houston at 9:47 last night, and was put on the UPS truck at 6:15 this morning (side note: I think that package tracking is hands down one of the coolest things that the internet provides). Sometime today, this will arrive to my front door, along with all sorts of additional fun things like a zoom lens, a speed lens and a wide angle lens, a filter kit, and an extra battery. Because I don't believe in doing anything half-assed. Happy snapping!

Nikon D70

4 comments:

Reading said...

Congrats on the new addition!! I hope Cheyenne doesn't get too jealous.

Anonymous said...

consider me both jealous and wildly happy for you. good hunting.

Adam said...

Great! I got one about a year ago and after a few weeks with it, I didn't know how I ever lived without it.

Leesa said...

How exciting, I love when I get a new camera :) I've heard that's a great camera too.