Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Altered view

The title of the holiday does not escape me. I didn't always approach this day with an inventory state of mind. When I was younger, my father called upon us at dinner to say aloud what we were thankful for, and it needed to be real, mind you, not something like, say, Um, I don't know, not having to go to school until Monday? Which, truthfully, I was thankful for, but it wasn't a deep gratitude, and it wasn't in recognition of the many blessings in life.

Today, I awoke to a cold snap in the air, bright sunshine through my open windows and the sound of rustling leaves along the driveway. Despite the emotional struggles of the year, I have much to be thankful for, and as I considered my blessings, I thought what I would say today if my father called upon me to speak: I am thankful for:

- the struggles, for one, because they alter the perspective and bring on a deeper appreciation

- being adopted by my parents

- learning from my father what unconditional love really is

- my mother being safe and here

- my niece and nephew together and safe

- my brother's slow but definite recovery from surgery

- my sister, against all probability, finding love again

- the group of friends I call my own

- my dog, Cheyenne

- having a secure job

- the ability to pay my bills

- having a roof over my head

- my desire - and ability - to help others

- this day

- this glorious morning

Happy Thanksgiving to you. May you too know your blessings.

3 comments:

maxngabbie said...

You are wealthy in life.
Happy Thanksgiving, to you and yours.

Linda@VS said...

I hope your holiday was as lovely as your post. The capacity for gratitude seems to grow in direct proportion to the life experience we acquire, don't you think?

Unknown said...

Lovely, lovely list of 'thanks'. I'm so glad I found your blog and have gotten to know you a bit. One of those 'internet' bits of thanks! Carmon