Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Lone Star Pride and Prejudice

I am often in denial when I travel. Usually, it's outward. Like for instance with cab drivers. Cab drivers always want to know where I'm from. When I travel internationally, I used to casually say the states, and those cab drivers, they would know the exact collective body of states to which I was referring. And when I was in the mood to chat up the cab driver, I'd answer with Texas, because everybody loves Texas and wants to talk about the cowboys, and the horses and the guns that each and every one of us carry in our holsters.

After our questionably-elected leader of the land of the free squashed an entire world's full of post-9/11 sympathy and support with amazing and swift deftness, I stopped saying the states, because that got all sorts of grumbling. I would grumble back, saying, I'm not here representing the Government, I'm just here on business. So I started responding with Texas again, but I'd still get grumbling. Seems that unbeknownst to me, when a cab driver hears that you're from Texas, what he also hears is that you're related to (and responsible for) the President himself. This past June, I answered, Rhode Island. It did not invite continued conversation.

[Side note: In Boston a couple years ago, walking downtown, an elderly woman said, Excuse me dear, and asked me for directions to a certain restaurant. I told her that I did not know how to direct her because I wasn't from there, and then I foolishly added, I'm from Texas. To which she spat back with disgust, What do you know then? Bush is from Texas. And then she hissed at me and stormed off, as much as an elderly lady with a cane can storm off. And I yelled out, I'm not representing the President! I'm just here on business!]

Yesterday, on the way to the rental car lot from the airport, the shuttle driver complained to me of the cold. I hadn't been out in it long enough to know I should be complaining as well, and told him I liked it, that I was from Texas and it was warm there right now, so the cold was a nice break. And then I realized what I'd said, that I'd just admitted I was from Texas. I braced myself for his response.

He smiled and said, I like Texas.

Relief fell over me. He continued, Do you know why? Ask my why. Ask me why I like Texas. I pushed back in my seat a bit, wanting to avoid his eager ask me, ask me, ask me excitement.

Why do you like Texas?

He smiled at me again, said It's not because of the horses or the cowboys.

I played along, Is it the cowgirls?

No, not the cowgirls.

He sat there looking out over the road, waiting for me to ask him again.

An unwitting participant in this volley, I went ahead and again asked, Why do you like Texas?

He flashed a big grin, and proudly stated, Because of Mr. Bush, our President. Smart man. Good man. Religious man. Good President.

I shook my head, said, I'm not here representing the President. I'm just here on business.

5 comments:

ghost said...

i am here as a representative of the state, the country, and the man we elected to lead us, not once, but twice.

i say it loud. i say it proud.

Anonymous said...

Thank God there is just one year left - when do you think we'll bomb Iran?

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Alison, How funny. I'm often amazed when I say I'm from California, people will ask, "Do you know ... (my cousin from Anaheim)?" like it's next door.

It was really eye opening to me traveling abroad and realizing people would hate me for being American for the weirdest reasons.

Adam said...

Great post! I love telling people I'm from "The Great State of Texas." We have great saloons here too. The swinging doors are a nice touch. I'm always proud to tell the "foreigners" where I'm from. Sue me! As you say, I'm not there as a representative of the government, but I have met Larry Hagman.

Linda@VS said...

Great post, Alison! I, too, lived in Texas for a number of years, and not once did I consider myself a representative of any particular individual or group. Unless you count women with big hair.