Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Rock steady

In the scheme of things, in runways too short and minimum wage too minimal, in anniversaries of devastating hurricanes and horrific lack of response, in a hospital room in which my friend sits praying for her mother, a single piece of paper found on the edge of our driveway set the direction of my day.

It was a lined piece of paper from a weekly planner, on one side across the top the printed words, Things to do, and on the other side: Who should I see, call, write or thank today? Picking up the newspapers and walking back to the house, I thought about it. Who should I see? I shut the door behind me and decided I should see my niece. Even though we had dinner together last night, and she chatted in the kitchen with me while I cooked, I wanted to see her again this morning, before I left for work and she for school. She's a steady character, that girl, and I enjoy her company immensely. I also like to get her day started on the right foot. I prepared a plate of fruit for her and one for my mother, poured juice for both, punctuated her plate with a powdered donut and waited for her sleepy face to come downstairs. It's a nice way to start the day, having breakfast with my niece.

On my way to work, I wondered who should I call? I called my Aunt Mary, my Father's sister. She's the funny one, the one who laughs at inappropriate times. She makes uptight people very uncomfortable. I love that about her. She's a bit unorganized, tends to be anxious at times but she has enthusiasm and love to spare. She shines. When she heard my voice, I could hear her happiness. When I say to her that I miss my father, and she says back to me that she misses her brother, it feels good inside that we have each other. She doesn't say it sadly, she says it with her trademark enthusiasm, Oh boy, I do too. Her voice feels good to me.

Who should I write and who should I thank? I need to write the City of Houston and explain to them that I am not guilty for that speeding ticket in a construction zone, and ask them for a trial by jury but postponed from the date they've offered since I will not be in Houston on that day. Ahem.

Who should I thank? I thank God. No matter how difficult the struggles, how sharp the sadness, there are so many gifts that have been bestowed upon me. I've had much opportunity lately to pass on those gifts to those in need, opportunity to give compassion and understanding, to share stories and provide support. I thank God for giving me challenges so that I might face them and learn from them, become stronger and yet remain gentle. Things are far from good these days, but I am able to be a friend, and I have hope. I thank God for giving me those.

Who should you see, call, write or thank today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wish i could see my daughter. but i will on saturday. i called both my father and my brother last night. hmm. who should i thank? amy, for saying "yes". to write...?