Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Freeze frame

Weathermen. Media. Local news. Oh my, the saliva drooled over the weather. Arctic Blast. The Ice Storm. The weather segment of the news is titled, with the title graphically frozen in ice. It's cold here, true. And there are a few icy patches around our roads, and, yes, driving conditions to the north and west of us are not good or safe. But seriously the news crews are frothing at the mouth with excitement and drama over this. Single case in point: standing on the side of the street, one young reporter smiles and tells us the freeze is coming, having the cameraman zoom in to a 3/4 inch icicle hanging from a stop sign. It's a tad bit on the desperate side.

And on the flip side, if you live in Austin and the roads are iced over in some places two inches thick and all schools are closed and warnings are made to stay off the roads, is it really okay to ignore all that and get on the road anyway just so that you can eat barbecue at the inauguration of our useless Governor? I think that is an unacceptable risk on so many levels.

There has been one bright spot in all this, however. And by bright, I mean amusing. No one I know hates weather like this more than my friend Reading does. I'm still chuckling to myself from yesterday when she asked me what I thought her bosses would say if she called in cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her bosses wouldn't care - they do it all the time!
PS Be careful out there - its 33 degrees and wet. We might have to shut down the State!

Reading said...

I'll have you know I did in fact call in cold this morning. Not for the whole day but just until it warmed up a little.

Linda@VS said...

I'm rarely sick (knock on wood) but frequently cold. I think calling in cold is a wonderful idea!