Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sounds logical

A portion of the email I received from my niece last night:

My history class is a group lecture. It was the weirdest class I have ever been to. The Professor had us move the chairs around so we would all face him in a U-shape. He said his purpose was to make us think and figure out what and who we really are. Stuff like that. But then he pulled a flask out of his jacket and this girl started coughing at the same time. She took a sip from her bottle of water and he told her she should stop drinking vodka. She was all What? He said sometimes people put vodka in water bottles to make it look like they're drinking water. She asked him if she could have a sip of his vodka then. And he said he didn't drink. He was trying to point out our assumptions. It was a bit crazy.
Mind you, that's her history class.

It shot me back more than several years ago when my Logic professor walked into class on the first day. He stood before us and asked what color shirt he was wearing. It was red and we collectively said as much. He responded that in an alternate world red could be white, or yellow for that matter. And in a perfect world, which did not exist, any answer would be correct for all colors exist in part in other colors. He then told us we were incorrect to say it was a red shirt. I had thought that class would be Venn Diagrams and such, and I still remember sitting back in my chair and realizing with a bit of trepidation that it would be about much more than circles and commonalities. Indeed it was at trip that kept me on the edge the entire semester, one that involved art and math and a healthy dose of Plato. And throughout the way, instruction on thought.

There's some good stuff going into her head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison, don't you just envy her!? We could all use some 'good stuff' going into our heads. What a great time she's going through in her life - and how wonderful for you, that you get to share it.

Anonymous said...

these two scenarios are exactly what happen in my classes everyday. my art class is about more than dead painters.

Linda@VS said...

You must be so excited to be a spectator to Cat's mind-opening experiences. What fun!