Friday, January 12, 2007

What's that you say?

I've known him since I was seven years old. In fact, he was my first crush. Though I was absolutely sure at the time that what I was feeling was love blooming in my heart. For the tall and skinny boy with ratty blond hair who lived down the street.

He's a jack of all trades, this one, a renaissance man in dirty jeans, if you will. He's hunted bear, befriended Dusty Hill, given the most poignant eulogy I have ever heard, and run a shooting range in Juneau, Alaska. He has done several stints as a bouncer in the roughest territory, has transported jailed criminals from jail to courthouse and back, has taught numerous self-defense classes, and held (still holds) more shooting medals on a local, state and country level than I can recall. He built a small plane from a bicycle and gave his younger sister the aerial tour of Juneau on that plane. He has drifted his canoe beneath glaciers and sent me images of a blue not found in RGB or Pantone. He was the only person outside immediate family to ride with and sit with the family at my father's funeral.

Today, he lives about 30 minutes outside of Houston where he runs a shooting range that he designed and built. Over time on that range he has collected several goats, a donkey and a llama. Because that's who he is. Not a dog, mind you, he has a llama.

So when he came over the other night for dinner and a visit, and he brought out his new laptop to show off, I should not have been surprised when he said in a completely untroubled voice that he had to get a new one, because the damn goat ruined my other one.

Simply, that's who he is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison - what an interesting friend you have! (I chuckled wondering about whether or not his insurance would cover that!):)
And how nice he could come visit now - when you can really use friends around.

Duly Inspired said...

Jackie - You are right in the right way. As for friend's visiting, thank you (again and again) for coming over. I appreciate you.

ghost said...

i think he and i are related.