Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lever Lab 2000

We all know her. She's charming and coy and brown. And she's bad, that one, just bad. When I got home from Target and unpacked all the crap that one buys at Target that one never intends to buy - in my case I set out for a single light bulb and added two white t-shirts, a CD, and the ever-important thickening shampoo of a brand I've never heard of before but feel will be the one that has the magic potion to give me hair the volume equal to my hips, the magic bottle that I hold in my hand and feel the promise, or at least the hope, of thick hair - wait, I've gotten way off subject, but you see how I am at Target, and also how hopeless I am in my hair dreams.

Annnnnyway, when I got home from Target, I put the single bulb and all the unnecessary and dreamy purchases on the counter, fed the brown dog, took her for a walk, and went out for dinner (after giving her a treat, mind you).

She was at the door when I got home. And on her face was that look. I walked up the stairs having no idea what I would find but knowing it would be something. She lunged ahead of me, and when I rounded the corner into the living room, she threw herself down on the rug beside her prize of two slightly torn open boxes of soap, and did so in a manner that sighed adolescent first love, a manner that spoke to the boxes as something she created yet still needed to breathe life into and draw from, and I who feeds her and walks her and puts her to bed with down pillows beneath her head, and pretty much wipes her ass if she needs it, I had the NERVE to interrupt her. No more guilty, I'm-so-sorry-I-can't-stand-to-be-alive-please-don't-stop-loving-me look on her face, just a pure and bizarre sort of, well, soap love.

Lever dog

I did what I normally do: I shouted, CHEYENNE, NO!

She looked up at me without a modicum of sorrow on her face but instead an expression that said Hey, I live here and who invited you into my home? I swear to you that if words could come from her mouth, she'd have told me to leave her the hell alone with her soap. Dammit, Mom! GO AWAY. I'm busy here. I need my space.

As if I'd walked in on her masturbating.

Leave me alone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love target. its all te red and white. its like a big divine peppermint.

Sass said...

i needed that chuckle. i've said it before, "i swear that dog is human."

Reading said...

You know it's serious when she doesn't do the blink-blink face! I will not tell Isaac he has been replaced by a bar of soap.

Anonymous said...

Oh, her little brown face in that second picture - it speaks volumes! I think you're right, none of it good toward you! lol

Anonymous said...

Did she eat any of the soap? Or was she just happy to sit and smell it?
-Shannon

Duly Inspired said...

Shannon - She was seemingly content to just gaze at the soap. Clearly she had attempted to get to them but perhaps my presence gave her change of mind.

Linda@VS said...

What a great story, Alison, and you told it delightfully. Isn't it amazing how clearly a dog can communicate its thoughts to its human?

When Butch was a pup, I was forever stepping into the shower and discovering that the soap was missing. I'd eventually find it, hidden under the bed or behind a chair, with one big bite of it missing. I finally had to switch to liquid soap in a bottle.