Monday, February 19, 2007

A dog of many collars

Cheyenne has almost as many collars as I have shoes. She has her everyday red nylon collar, the one with her rabies tag and city registration on it. She has her red rolled leather collar, a light brown leather collar, her black leather collar, an orange Life is Good collar, a green collar, two blue collars and a black collar which are the same basic nylon as her red everyday collar but, you know, a girl likes to wear different styles as well as colors. She also has her two Christmas collars with jingle bells on them. Each one of those collars has a tag on it with her name and my cell phone number. Well, some have her actual name and some have nicknames, such as Tiny Hiney, Monster, and Shiny. Each collar also has a matching leash, because that's important, like shoes and purses, or belts. With the exception of her black long-lead leash, I like to keep her collars and leashes matching. It keeps my world orderly, understand.

For Christmas, Cheyenne's two Godmothers gave her a new collar to add to her collection. This collar is by far her most feminine collar. Okay, truthfully, it's her only feminine collar. It's brown with a cream and green paisley design swirling around it, and a small gold tag with a paw print on it. She loves that collar. If I hold up two collars before her, she'll choose that one every time. Usually, I only put a collar on her when I walk her or when we're going somewhere, but she loves that collar so much that I let her wear it all weekend. When I took it off of her Sunday night, she insisted on looking at it and sniffing it up and down, and then she followed me downstairs and into the garage and followed my hands with her eyes as I hung it up with her other collars. Then she stood there looking up at me with what I swear was sadness in her eyes, as if I'd taken her favorite toy away for no reason whatsoever.

This morning I chose that collar for our morning walk. And a happy dog again she was.

New collar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought dogs were colorblind. how would they test that anyway?

faithhopelove said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Alison, and she looks so good in it, too! Very nice. People tease me because my shoes always match my shirt - glad to know C likes to 'dress' this way, as well! :-)

Linda@VS said...

Bless her heart, the girl has a sense of style!