Thursday, February 01, 2007

A note to the second month

Dear February,

Back again so soon?

I've expected your return, of course, even kept my eye on your inevitable progressing to the present. Still, it's hard to believe you are already here again, cloaked as you are in your grey and rainy indifference. As the calendar page turned, I've braced myself for you. I'm wearing my boots today, no coincidence. It's how I see you, how I feel I need to be prepared for you. Armed, if you will, to see you. You, the Judas of the months, the betrayer of my heart. You are a painful reminder of what I already know, a sad bridge I must cross over to get from January to March. I ask only one thing of you: Be mercifully swift in your passing days.

Give me that much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i never notced it before but february always has been a bit sinister hasnt it. i know from where your dislike for it stems. move on february. darken her doorstep no more.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you, that this is a short month. Hope it passes quickly.

Linda@VS said...

December brings me the same kind of hard memories that February brings to you, though your memories are fresher than mine. I don't know if the ache ever goes away entirely, but I can tell you there'll come a time when the memories of your father's death take a backseat to the happy memories of his life.

Be good to yourself as you wait for February to get itself over with.