Monday, June 04, 2007

Knowing better but doing it all wrong just the same

A woman who sat at my family's dining table on a cruise several years ago told me that when you pack for a trip, you should set out everything that you want to take with you, and then pull back 40%. She wore the same dress a couple times and the same skirt with a different top a couple other times but I would not have noticed if she didn't tell me. She had a different pashmina each night. I had commented how wonderfully pulled together she was and she gave me her packing secrets, the main one being pulling back that 40%. The secondary one was, you might have already figured, bringing pashminas.

That was five years ago and I can no longer remember her name but every time I pack a suitcase, I think of her.

The problem is that I'm not a big fan of pashminas. The whole draping thing gets on my nerves after a very short time, as in before I get out of the house. That leaves me to her first bit of advice. But if I do that, then I assume that the 40% rule would snag at least one pair of the shoes I want to bring, and I have plans for each pair, so I cannot do that. Definitely then, it means 40% of the clothes. How can I travel with only 60% of the clothes I need? I have plans for each outfit, so I cannot do that either.

As for toiletries, however, I can bend. I've transferred full-size items into small bottles, cutting back the total product by at least 70%, so that should help.

I've also put back four headbands, two scarves and three barrettes.

I'm sure I'll notice the difference all that makes when I'm lugging my suitcase across Europe. A suitcase that I'll have to unzip often to be sure it's filled with cute outfits and adorable shoes and not the ton of bricks that someone stuffed in there when I wasn't looking.

4 comments:

Linda@VS said...

The most important packing tip I know isn't about the clothes. Be sure to pack as much fun and adventure as possible into each day of your vacation. The memories won't be heavy, and you can bring home as many as you want, duty-free.

Have a wonderful trip, Alison.

ghost said...

i once spent a month and a half hiking across england ireland and scotland with only a bag as big as a back pack. i did laundry whilei was overthere a few times. but. i also realize im a guy and that there are certain cosmic laws by which women pack by that guys do not understand no matter how hard we try. good luck.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love packing! And I'm with you...have to have the right shoes for each outfit. Also understand the whole draping thing being too tiring, but have to admit, I had to look up pashmina. I could infer that it was a shawl - but had never heard this word. We live in different worlds in this world!

maxngabbie said...

May your vistas hold beauty, inhale all the beauty you can on this vacation. I believe it will be full of wonder for you....I can hardly wait to view the pictures I'm sure you will post.
Enjoy!!