Saturday, June 09, 2007

When life gives you lemons, drink Cava

There is something so humbling about walking through the Bario Gotica, a neighborhood that was created in 1086. Yes, ten eighty-six. There is something so peaceful about walking through a church that has stood in place for a thousand years, when your feet walk along the same stones as others have walked, of lives who have lived before your own. Something so uniquely strange about placing your hand in narrow grooves along a wall and learning that the grooves were made by Roman soldiers sharpening their swords. There is something so lovely about being here, about seeing these things and strolling these streets, experiencing this amazing Spanish city of Barcelona.

Barcelona 003 Barcelona 010 Barcelona 015 Barcelona 029 Barcelona 032 Barcelona Day 2 003 Barcelona 004

6 comments:

maxngabbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maxngabbie said...

What is that "something"? I've always wondered, I wish I could convey the feeling to words. But, it IS something alright.

Anonymous said...

What an experience! When I touch the walls of old buildings, I always feel something deeply, maybe just connected to the past, I can't really explain what the feeling is. I've never been near anything that old - I just cannot imagine what that must be like.

ghost said...

consider me both extremely jealous and ultimatly happy for you to be experiencing this.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your journey - it has been a wonderful distraction during my recovery. Also, you have made me even more certain that Spain is our first International vacation destination! Carmon

Jackie's Garden said...

No postings...hmmm...means you've either 1) lost your camera or 2) are having a terrific time and are way too busy to post. I'm betting it's the latter! Woo hoo.