Thursday, August 16, 2007

With a face like that

There's a story here. His name is Dudley. His story is hope; our story is shame. In the short time he's been alive, he's not been shown the best of us, the world, humans. I met him this afternoon. I cried for him. He kissed my nose. He's that kind of guy, he is.

On Monday, Dudley was pushed out of a moving car by someone he trusted. PUSHED OUT OF A MOVING CAR. (What is wrong with people?) What do you think Dudley did? He chased that car for as far as his legs would carry him, but the car was too fast, the driver too intent on getting away. I imagine that Dudley thought it a mistake, thought it was something he did, and if he could only catch up, he'd do his best to nose-kiss his way into forgiveness.

When I met him, I apologized on behalf of the world for how he'd been treated. Whoever it was that kicked him out of a moving car had not give him any vaccinations, any heart worm medicine, or anything at all for his health. I can only imagine what was done. Dudley was quiet at first, when we met across the fence. Quiet but receptive, hopeful. I think Dudley has a broken heart, but from his wagging tail, he's able to get through it.

Through some lucky connections he didn't know he had, this delightful guy has landed in my neighborhood, for the time being. He has all of his shots now and he's been given a clean bill of health. He has been neutered. This sweet guy has everything going for him, except a home to call his own.

Earlier tonight, he poked his nose through the fence and kissed my face. Cheyenne then kissed his face. With all that loving and kissing, I almost scooped him up and brought him home. But the truth is that I cannot afford him, financially or logistically.

If you met him, you'd love him. You'd put your hands all over him and kiss him, kiss him, kiss him, and he'd kiss you, kiss you, kiss you back. If you know someone who would love Dudley and who maybe needs to give and get lots of puppy kisses, who would scoop him up, would you let me know? Seriously, this little guy is special. And the sun won't go down on Friday without his having a home. Even if that home is my own.

DSC05174 DSC05171

4 comments:

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Allison, Such a moving tale. People are truly awful to the animals that depend on them . Dudley looks like a sweet boy and I hope he finds a home.

Unknown said...

Precious!!! Please let us know the outcome. Animals are dumped all the time out here and most wind up dead on the road. I'm so glad Dudley landed somewhere safe. Carmon

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I'll never understand people. So let us know if you get Dudley!

B.Gardner said...

I am willing to give Dudley a home right now if I can get in contact with someone to make this happen