Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Coal in her stocking, no doubt

There’s not much I can get my mother for Christmas. Her needs are taken care of, and she’s unable to express her wants. I decided this morning to get her music. She loves music and does not have access to music in her room, so I set out this afternoon during lunch to get her a CD player and some CDs from Target. Going to Target seven days before Christmas is a brave thing to do. It’s also foolish. Maybe not as foolish as going to Target the weekend before Christmas, or on Christmas Eve, but it’s right up there. People begin to turn not so nice when they shop the week before Christmas. They become more driven with running-out-of-time purpose and less driven by the spirit of the season. I shop early each year to avoid that very thing.

Except I couldn't decide until this morning what to get my mother.

During lunch, I happily strolled through the store, picked up a couple things for my niece, some socks for myself, and went to the electronics area for the CD player. I found that and then headed towards the music selection. Three CDs later, I headed to the checkout lanes. On my way, one of the CDs slipped from the cart and hit the floor, just in front of the woman who was tailing me with her cart that was laden and heavy with all sorts of things, presumably for her grandchildren. I fumbled, put my hand up in the air to give her a heads up that I was stopping and to please not run over me, and said, Oh, sorry, excuse me, as I bent down to retrieve the CD. The woman looked at me, saw me, and then ran over the CD with her cart. I quickly moved my hand from the CD so as not to be caught beneath her mean wheels, and looked up at her with I guess surprise on my face because as the CD case cracked, she said to me: Don’t blame me, you’re the one who dropped it. I would have doubted myself that she saw or heard me until those words spewed from her mouth. That's when my face went to Huh, what?

Standing up, CD in hand, I regained composure and smiled at her back as she mowed her cart through the crowd. You have a happy holiday, I called out. Because what was in my mind could not be spoken out loud in public. And because you're supposed to take the high rode. And because it's the holidays, for darn sake.

6 comments:

Network Geek said...

I'm never quite sure if I should laugh at those people, or cry for them, or beat them senseless with a holiday decoration. I usually opt for laughing at them, mainly because it seems to perplex them so.
I hope they had a CD to replace the one that got run over.

Adam said...

I'll be shopping this weekend for everything and everyone. I can't stand normal crowds in stores...shopping would be so much more pleasant if they had bars located throughout stores.

The gift of music is a perfect idea, by the way.

ghost said...

i believe you are much more civilized than i am.

maxngabbie said...

You, my dear, are a classy lady. I, on the other hand, would have wolven a ribbon of words that would make a sailor blush, and I'm not proud of it ;)

Linda@VS said...

What a bitch she was! This episode proves to me that you've mastered the lessons about not sweating the small stuff. Good for you!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I agree with Velvet! I so would've add "BITCH!" to the end of You have a nice holiday!

Sometimes, I just ask / say to them, "Well, I'm so sure your mother proud of you!"