Monday, May 23, 2005

I'd trade it all tomorrow for the highway

There are myriad alloverthemap reasons why this Norah Jones song is the only one I've listened to tonight. Hitting repeat so often it reminded me of a school girl discovering the first song she could connect to, and in the euphoria of that connection, being unable to let go. But it didn't feel like that, it just reminded me of it.

What it feels like is a breeze traveling over a hill and pulling with it the scents from many camps on the other side - warm bread, lavender, wood shavings, laughter, desire and water. It feels like my heart twitching. It feels like looking through an album of photos of my life. I'm sure it feels like nothing even close to the song's meaning. It feels like my father, and my nephew. And the guy who is far away but always steps in at the right time with just the right words to connect. It feels like looking through a window. And it feels like the breeze picking up the ribbons in my hair. It feels like a memory and a vision. It feels like a dusty road beneath a starry night. It feels like the blood in my body, warm and familiar. And it feels like home and taking it with you when you leave, yet missing it when you're gone.

Long Way Home

Well I stumbled in the darkness
I'm lost and alone
Though I said I'd go before us
And show the way back home
IS there a light up ahead
I can't hold onto very long
Forgive me pretty baby
but I always take the long way home

Money's just something you throw
Off the back of a train
Got a handful of lightening
A hat full of rain
And I know that I said
I'd never do it again
And I love you pretty baby
but I always take the long way home

I put food on the table
And a roof overhead
But I'd trade it all tomorrow
For the highway instead
Watch your back if I should tell you
Loves the only thing I've ever known
One thing for sure pretty baby
I always take the long way home

You know I love you baby
More than the whole wide world
I'm your mamma
I know you are my pearl
Let's go out past the party lights
We can finally be alone
Come with me and we can take the long way home
Come with me, together we can take the long way home
Come with me, together we can take the long way home

2 comments:

Sass said...

I have been checking in with you pretty regularly now. I can see all the love you have and have known in your life and are willing to know.

Chin up.

Duly Inspired said...

Thanks, Sass. I appreciate your comment and support. And "chin up" brought a smile.