Sunday, December 24, 2006

On this, Christmas Eve


It's cold outside, baby, and that makes me warm inside. We opened all the gifts underneath our little tree. Truthfully, they were under the tree, on the chairs and had spilled over onto the floor. I think the word is abundance. Boxes and paper everywhere. Smiles too. My niece takes my breath away these days. She's growing into a loveliness that is her own, and she shines when she smiles. Which lately is often.

Yesterday, I had lunch with my nephew, my niece and my sister, their mother. She had not seen her son in over a year and a half. The word I can use to describe their feelings at seeing each other would be joy. And when my nephew thanked me for giving him the best Christmas present he could have ever received, I too felt joy. From the bottom of my toes and deep into my heart.

Today, we'll visit my mother. It will be quiet and love will be in the room, emanating from and covering all.

This evening, we are going to church and following that we're going to meet friends for Christmas cheer and celebration.

I've used the word, we, in this post. There is another. He came back into my life several years ago. And again in October. He came to stay in November. My heart has love and happiness again. Tomorrow morning, he and I will get on a plane to Santa Fe for a couple days and nights. Just the two of us, mountains, snow and a more quiet and personal celebration of the holiday. And each other.

Merry Christmas, everyone. A very merry Christmas to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've been having a wonderful holiday season. I'm glad, Alison, that things are going well in your world. I hope it's a sign of how the new year will proceed!

Linda@VS said...

There's nothing greater I can wish for you than love, and I'm so glad you're surrounded by it at Christmas. Merry Christmas, Alison.