Monday, December 18, 2006

Voicemail to my heart

Left on my cell phone earlier tonight:

Hey, it's me. I'm sitting here at a bar and the bartender is wearing a t-shirt that says Poco Bueno on it. I've been looking at it, thinking that's the fishing tournament that your old man won with that big Marlin. I had to show off a bit, tell him I was good friends with the man who won the whole thing one year. What year was it? I can't remember. Anyway, I showed off my tattoo. You know the one, on my arm with the bear paw and your father's birth year and the year he died. I had to say, yeah, you may be wearing a t-shirt, but I knew Ed Groth.

That? That's a voicemail I saved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a perfect sentiment. i hope after i'm gone someone will say, yeah, i knew ghost. that's a compliment.

Linda@VS said...

That was a great message, Alison. It must be wonderful to have had the kind of father who inspired another men to get a tattoo as a reminder of him.