Saturday, February 16, 2008

Two kinds of love

When I launch the internet, my home page is CNN. On the CNN page, the top story is on the left column and the latest news is listed in linkable headlines in a column to the right. Reading the headlines, without clicking onto any details beneath, can be a roller coaster of reaction on my part. Sometimes I can't bear to link to the stories, but at times, I do double click. Take this morning, for example. The 10th headline was this: Dad carries son six miles to get wheelchair. I clicked on the headline to discover a moving story of good humanity chasing after bad, a story about disabled Iraqi children and teens whose parents must carry them wherever they need to go, and a charity that donates these children wheelchairs, and basically with that, gives them dignity and independence. It felt good to read that story.

The next headline was this one: Dad bolts, leaving baby at car crash scene.

Are you shaking your head in dissapointed wonder? Yeah, me too. On that headline I did not double click.

No comments: