Saturday, March 01, 2008

For the band's playin' one of my old favorite songs from way back when

The exact date and even the year are both outside my knowledge, but on a certain day of a certain year, and in a certain theatre in the city of New York, my Grandmother took my mother to Hello Dolly! during Carol Channing's first run as Dolly. Fifteen years ago, in Houston, I treated my mother to Ms. Channing's performance in her last run as Dolly. My father was relieved not to be dragged along and Mom and I enjoyed our night of just the girls. I delighted in Mom telling me at dinner about her first Dolly experience with her mother. I felt part of a special mother/daughter club and very much enjoyed my standing.

Tonight, I am going to see Hello Dolly! without my mother. And without Carol Channing. I'm a bit nervous, to be honest. I know I'll be missing my mother terribly. I'm only beginning to adjust to carrying on alone with what my parents instilled in me, even with such a small thing as love of the theatre and musicals. But I also know that when I'm there, I'll have my mother in my heart, just as my mom had her mother in her heart when she and I went 15 years ago. And I'll probably sing out loud and disturb my theatre seat neighbors, but I'll want to sing because in a way this will be like visiting the past and being greeted with, It's so nice to have you back where you belong.

1 comment:

maxngabbie said...

Your closing line is just what I was thinking :) Enjoy!