Thursday, March 13, 2008

Short rant

Soapbox. Stepping up.

The word respect is being tossed around my ears like those annoying hairs that won't fit into my hairband. I am tired of the assumption that respect, like innocence, is assumed until proven otherwise. I subscribe to the theory that respect is earned, and worth working to receive. I respect ideas and respect privacy and respect my elders and even respect some nebulous concepts, but as for people, they have to earn it, just like they have to earn trust. Show me your colors, show me what you're made of. Let's do some work together or travel a difficult road together. Let me see your qualities, your abilities. If one wants it so badly, perhaps the way to receive it is to stop demanding and start earning.

Soapbox. Dismount.

2 comments:

ColorBars said...

i can respect that.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Amen Sister!