Friday, March 07, 2008

Three Gs

This is my favorite photo of my parents and me. The occasion was my best friend's wedding, and this particular evening was the rehearsal dinner party. The wedding was in Rancho Santa Fe, just north of San Diego. I had been up there for the week and my parents flew in a couple days before the wedding. They were delighted to spend time with my friend's family in celebration of the wedding, and the three of us were excited to be there together.

Right before this photo was taken, my friend and her parents gave me a Maid of Honor gift. I held the Tiffany box in my hands and looked at my friend and her mother, then back at the box, and then slowly opened it to find a beautiful pair of diamond and pearl earrings. My mother could identify the color of Tiffany blue from a hundred yards and, as I held the box in my hands, I could see her light up with approval and curiosity. Both my parents were watching me and eager for me to show them what I had just received. After I wiped the tears from my eyes, I thanked and hugged Augusta and her mother, and thanked and hugged them again. Then I put the earrings on and walked over to my parents to show them. As I was leaning down to show them, my friend Donna picked up my camera from the table and asked us for a photo. This is that photo. It's a rare photo in that my mother allowed her picture to be taken at all and also that all three of us are smiling and our eyes are open. I like that our happiness shows so clearly. These are my mother and father's true smiles. These are our true eyes. My favorite color is the blue of my father's eyes.

Three VI

A couple days after the wedding, my parents and I flew back to Houston. When we checked in for our flight, I was upgraded to First Class. Naturally, I gave the ticket to my father as his legs were hurting him and I wanted him to be comfortable and, well, it was the right thing to do. Mother was happy to sit with me in Coach. When our row number was finally called, we boarded the plane. As we passed the first row, there was my father, sitting next to and talking with an absolutely stunning woman, drinking a Bloody Mary, a plated Shrimp Salad on a bed of spinach sat with silverware and tiny salt and pepper shakers on his linen-covered tray table. Not wanting to blow his cover, I just glanced his way and smiled at him as we passed. He smiled back and opened his eyes wide in that mischievous What can I say? face he used to make.

Mom and I were situated in our seats, awaiting our shredded barbecue sandwiches wrapped in microwave-safe cellophane, when she said that it was very nice of me to give my seat to my father. Then she harrumphed, But I could do without him sitting next to that woman.

She looked over at me, smiled, and shook her head. I smiled back at her, leaned over and put my head on her shoulder and we laughed. Together in our seats, we just laughed and laughed.

I miss her, so very much. I miss them. So very much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the smile in all your eyes shows how truly happy you all are.

sass

Unknown said...

This is such a lovely photo and memory. I have to confess that I am a bit envious at times of your good family memories. I am so glad you have them to wrap around you and keep you warm. Carmon

Adam said...

Thanks for sharing a picture of her.

Linda@VS said...

What a wonderful photo, Alison. The kind of love that shines through these three pairs of eyes will sustain you through the difficult moments.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful celebration with good friends and our "family". Seems like yesterday...

Pony Writer said...

That is EXACTLY how I remember your mother, with that huge cheek to cheek grin that shined all up and down Hickory Ridge.

One of my favorite memories of her was when she bought the little appaloosa mare (can't remember her name). She was SO proud of her, and when I came over she couldn't wait to show her off to me. I, of course, was about 14 at the time and felt very important, seeing how your Mom couldn't wait to show ME her new horse! As I recall, sis was a little annoyed by all the fuss and rode off on Sandy, telling me to catch up with her when I was done.

To this day I remember how special I felt, standing by the fence next to your Mom, who was beaming. I have made it a point throughout my adult life to be sure I give that gift to other kids, as well.

See how they continue to live on?