Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Registered BE

Something has been bothering me for several days now. I can't shake it, so I'm going to share it. I caught a background piece on New Year's Eve in Times Square and it mentioned the tons of confetti that would be dropped at midnight by Dispersion Engineers. I work with Engineers, lots of them. Chemical Engineers, Environmental, Civil, Construction, Electrical, Mechanical, etcetera etcetera etcetera. And they may conduct dispersion modeling regarding stack emissions, but a Dispersion Engineer? No. I think that the Engineer title is being tossed around with about as much care and meaning as that confetti had while drifting downward.

That said, I'd like to take advantage of this and announce my new title for 2006: Blogging Engineer.

5 comments:

tinyhands said...

Congratulations on your new position. I hope you got a big fat raise with your new title (though I suspect you'd do it for free).

Sass said...

When I first read that i thought it said disposal engineer. EW! Guess they had to think of a PC name b/c they couldn't call them litter droppers
Ooh - not sure which is worse

Duly Inspired said...

TH - It's always free!

Sass - You're on a roll, girl. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

I know it's wrong, but I love to watch actual Engineers when I tell them that I'm a "Network Engineer". Always good for a laugh!
Just once, I wish they'd let me choose my own title: High Lord of All Networking. It's more accurate than "network engineer", no actual engineers get upset, and it would look real purty on a business card.

Duly Inspired said...

NG - I think I have to re-think everything. I need to be a Patience Engineer, or maybe a Coordination Engineer. If lunch and the woman cutting in front of me, and then tripping on the stairs, tells me anything.