Wednesday, January 11, 2006

When two cars crash into each other, somewhere a flower blooms

In the beginning Today

The flower pot and bulbs were a Christmas present from my best girl in Vermont. Everyday I've been watching the green shoots break through the dirt and stretch ever-upward. It reminds me of elementary school science projects - toothpicks piercing and holding up the avocado seed growing roots in the water-filled plastic cup placed on the kitchen window sill, or planting the bean in the Dixie cup and waiting ever so patiently for the little sprout to break through the dirt and lift its head to the light. The progress of this growing green life in my house has been equally enchanting. I've been observing the changes daily, slight as they have been but undeniably there. This morning's changes weren't slight at all. The first blossoms broke through their shell sometime during the night and this morning they greeted me with the palest white and sweetest scent.

And I returned the broadest smile.

No comments: