Tuesday, January 10, 2006

She says / She says

A day after the accident and it's finger pointing and make believe scenarios, even a make believe witness.

I ask the claims agent of her insurance company, What witness?

The man who was in the passenger seat.

Later, my agent tells me that the supposed witness had called him to make a claim, that the witness is an employee in the department she manages. It's a company car and a company insurance policy. I grit my teeth. How conveeeeeeeeeeenient to have an company-employed witness.

There was no passenger. No man, no woman, and no child for that matter.

Her agent tells me that the woman and the witness are disputing my statement of the accident and my claim to her insurance company. She tells me that this woman states that I hit her. I tell the agent that the damage to both vehicles will reveal a different story. My damage: Driver door and front panel. Her damage: Front of SUV and right side of bumper. Unless I was driving sideways, it's impossible for me to hit her and get that damage. Her agent goes on to tell me that the woman stated she was not on her cell phone, and her light was green. I suddenly have boiling blood. I become hot shot big important person and state that I'll take this to the courts and subpoena her cell phone records to show that she was on the cell phone at 8:37 when she hit me, and I'll get the city to provide proof that the light had been as yellow as the shining sun when she drove through it.

The agent tells me to calm down. I deserved it, so apologize and explain that I'm reacting from my surprise to the fabrications of her client. I tell her again that when she sees the damage to the cars, she'll know that her client hit me, not the other way around. I give her the address of the dealership that has my car. Unbelievably, she then tells me that I should not count on this being settled in my favor. Further, she tells me to file a claim with my insurance agency because she may not get out to the vehicles until two weeks time and her company will not be responsible for my rental car fees.

Sigh.

My lesson in all of this: In the future, I will ignore the city's request to not call the police for fender benders. If I had called the police, they would have given her a ticket, and that would be the end of it as far as make-believe witnesses and responsible parties.

5 comments:

tinyhands said...

You sure I wasn't with YOU that morning? ... and OWW my neck!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what was that intersection? I'm pretty sure I saw that accident. She pretty well T-Boned you, as I recall.

I wouldn't even ask for a percentage of the insurance! ;)

Sass said...

Just when i have faith in human kind people go and do something dirty and rotten like this.

Karma can be a .....

Duly Inspired said...

TH & NG - Thanks for that!

Sass - Insurance agents can be a .... as well. I've got truth and karma on my side though and I believe it'll work out. That may be naive, but I believe it nonetheless.

tinyhands said...

You're right, of course. It's not naive, it's the mature & responsible stand to take.