Sunday, October 08, 2006

Friends are friends and pals are pals

He calls me when his flight arrives. I hang up the phone and close my eyes. I cannot wait to see him.

He's driving west on Westheimer. I'm driving east. I dial his number.

You'll want to turn your radio to 93.7.

Ah, Led Zeppelin, luv.

I have no concern at all that I don't know where I'm going and neither does he. I know we'll find it and I know we'll find each other. I drive on, each light bringing me closer.

I ring him again, tell him I've found a hotel, that I'll pull in to see if they have a room. As I pull in, he laughs, says I'm right behind you.

That timing is not unusual.

It's not often that I see him, but it is often that I think about him. Was he the one who got away? Perhaps. But after all these years, he's also the one who has stayed in my life, the one I still carry in my heart. After all these years, he's my favorite song, a deeper breath, a contented sigh. In the end, that's so much better.

DSC_0064 DSC_0059

4 comments:

gadfly said...

love the photos

Anonymous said...

Alison, I hope he provided you a little stress relief. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge. "Stress relief".)
Seriously, if anyone deserves a little relief, I figure it must be you.

Linda@VS said...

I hope you have a wonderful time together. Your photos are nothing short of glorious.

Duly Inspired said...

NG - It's not like that.

Velvet - No credit on my end - it was an awesome sky that evening.