Thursday, October 19, 2006

Return

Today, I head home. Though I haven't been homesick a single time on any of my travels lately, and though Houston is warm and very green, and lacks the charming personality of the places I've spent time this past week, it is a place that I'm looking forward to returning. Slightly changed, in the sense that I am calm, relaxed. That's what vacations should leave you with, absent of stress and replenished with calm. Even this quick turn around work trip has been just fine because Chester County Pennsylvania is in peak Fall colors and if you throw in that this is horse country, the birthplace of Smarty Jones and Barbaro, and my drive to work has been saturated with the view of horse farms and clusters of trees with full spreads of color, well, there's no stress to be found even if I went looking for it.

I have not once been homesick during this time, which tells me I needed the distance, just for a while, just to get my energy replenished, my spirit sated.

Still, a girl can only take just so much quaint perfection. After a while, you can start to miss the chaos that is normal to your life. So, naturally, I have missed that ill-behaved little girl of mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's good to hear that you're relaxed and well rested, Alison. And, yes, it's hard not to miss them when we're gone, isn't it? No matter how naughty they are.

Oh, and, in case you were wondering, there are brownie mixes made with carob just for dogs. I bought one at PetSmart once. Or, Three Dog Bakery has all kinds of stuff, including doggie cookbooks. Which reminds me, I need to make mine some muffins.

Anonymous said...

welcome back, alison.