Thursday, April 12, 2007

A fine example of why no one ever uses the word graceful to describe me

In the elevator at work this morning, the normal morning lot of us are riding. Rather than stand shoulder to shoulder and face the closed doors, six of us are two by two against the three walls, facing each other. There's no conversation, just the ride. I take a sip of my coffee. And here's where my tale of woe begins. Because I had polished off eight ounces of Pelligrino sparkling water in one giant chug before getting out of my car two minutes prior, right when I took the sip of coffee, I needed to burp. I rarely burp out loud even when I'm alone so of course in an elevator I would do my best to hold it down and keep my mouth shut. Only this burp was backed up by eight ounces of carbonation and therefore would not be suppressed. There was coffee in my mouth, remember? And the burp forced a bit of that coffee to SHOOT OUT OF MY MOUTH, as if I was spitting water between my teeth like the neighborhood boys used to do when they were swimming in our pool when I was a kid. Except I'm an adult and this was coffee. In an elevator. With co-workers.

All I could do was say out loud, "Okay, that was embarrassing."

8 comments:

Reading said...

Nice. I may need to revisit this one when I need a really good laugh.

Anonymous said...

hahahhaha omg thats really funny.too funny.

Adam said...

I hope it wasn't Starbucks...that little mishap would have been worth about 37 cents.

Anonymous said...

Late on the comments... your previous post reminds me. I can't stand when my boss says "quite frankly" and he says it all the time.

maxngabbie said...

You mean coffee, like the coffee that just hit my computer screen? That was too funny!

Anonymous said...

That just made my day!

Anonymous said...

I think you handled that as well as any one could! I would turn beet red, too. :-)

ghost said...

i would pay good money for the survellience tape in that elevator.