Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A moment of silence


Morning silence.

The telephone rings through. My niece is on the other end of the line. Awoken to a frantic knock on her door that there's a bomb threat and the dorms and other school buildings are being evacuated. Ladies, this is serious, she hears. Classes are cancelled.

Copycat business but her school reacts as it should. There are monsters among us, very troubled and powerful individuals.

We wonder, Why?

Flags at half staff, heads bowed, prayers for the victims, families, friends, and students at Virginia Tech.

Silence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even think of copycats. That's sick, and I'm glad she's ok. I remember when Columbine happened, I was 1 desk away from you at work, and we were all freaked out.
-sdhb

Anonymous said...

"Why?", indeed. So very sad. My heart aches for the family and friends.

ghost said...

i just cant wrap my head around it.

Anonymous said...

Crap, I just realized I typed Columbine above. It was actually OK City. It is another tragedy that these tragedies are running together through the years. None of them should have happened.
-sdhb