Sunday, January 27, 2008

Elizabeth Oxholm Groth (May 7, 1925 - January 27, 2008)

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. she is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of a white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: There, she is gone!

Gone, where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: There, she is gone! there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: Here she comes!

And that is dying.

~ Anonymous

8 comments:

maxngabbie said...

Alison, I am sorry for your loss. As I speak with God through my daily prayers, I will mention your name. He will comfort you, He will give you strength.
He has provided a beautiful place for her, no pain, no sorrow.
I'm sure your father welcomed her as a new bride, and they will dance.

Anonymous said...

I stand beside you, Alison, in your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you...what a wonderful daughter you've been - I love you.

ghost said...

peace and strength to you, alison. you are in my prayers.

Linda@VS said...

These words you have chosen as a tribute to your mother are as beautiful and graceful as I remember her to be. I'm so sorry for your loss, Alison, but I promise you there will be a time --not soon, but someday -- when the pain you feel at her passing is overshadowed by your happy memories of her life.

In the meantime, be gentle with yourself and don't be afraid to lean on the strength of others. You and Carl are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I wish there was something I could say to truly give you comfort. Your constant love for your parents has been truly inspiring and our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Carmon

Anonymous said...

Alison, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I know this has been so difficult on you. Please know that I think of you often and keep you and your family in my prayers. You are very strong and I know you will get through this. Please dont hesitate to let me help you. Love you, Kristi

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Alison, I am so very sorry about your loss. From reading your posts about her, I am certain she knew you loved her. Peace be with you and your family during this time.

Adam said...

Alison, I'm so sorry to learn of your loss. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Please take comfort knowing that there is a fine gentleman up there who has his sweetheart back by his side. Both of them perfect with eternity to share together. Where do you think they went on their first date?