Friday, January 11, 2008

Snapshot

In my car CD player:

- Eric Clapton, The Complete Collection -- This is a 2-disc collection of 36 songs, from his days in Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes, as well as on his own. Thirty-six songs! All Eric Clapton, all in a row. Nice.

- David Gray, Greatest Hits -- He is not as well known in the states as he is in the UK but over there, he's had many hits and I'm guessing that's why he can compile his newest release as such.

- Sting, All This Time -- It's Sting, so needs no explanation except to say that I struggled this morning over which to put in the first CD slot, Clapton or Sting, but respectfully went with the more seasoned of the two. (As if anyone was around to care that I gave Clapton that respect. Sometimes my world exists in my head, you know?)

- Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Raising Sand -- I thought this to be too odd a pairing and right up there with Johnny Cash singing a Nine Inch Nails song, or Neil Young hooking up with Pearl Jam, and I stubbornly (ignorantly?) dug my heels in and refused to give it a listen. But these two are icons in their own musical genres, so I allowed my curiosity to wrestle my stubbornness into submission. And I listened. And then I gave gratitude to my curiosity for winning that wrestling match.

On my passenger seat:

- Wonderful Tonight - George Harrison, Eric Clapton and Me, by Pattie Boyd. I had to buy this book during lunch today because I have about 30 pages left in Eric Clapton's eponymous autobiography and I'm not ready to be finished. I love reading biographies, and I especially love reading musician biographies. Did you know that it's Eric Clapton playing the guitar in George Harrison's song, While my Guitar Gently Weeps? I think that's a cool piece of information to have in my bank of trivial things I know about music knowledge bank.

All of this is to tell you that if you ever get the inkling that I am mildy obsessed with music and musicians, you can be secure in your inklings.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

I'm familiar with most of these artists, but I'll have to check out David Gray. Regarding musicians' bios, I find them interesting, too, but I thought that was just a carry-over from when my daughter was a writer for Rolling Stone and I read every word of every issue. The bios always seem to sell well, so you must not be alone in your obsession.

Anonymous said...

I often find it amusing that I did a full circle in musical tastes and my favourites are now what I grew up listening to because my Dad listened to them--Eric Clapton top among them.